NAB Search for a reply from Shahbaz in Lal Sohanra case

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif to reply till May 18 to a questionnaire in reference to the allegedly illegal.

NAB Search for a reply from Shahbaz in Lal Sohanra case
NAB Seek reply from Shahbaz in Lal Sohanra case

MULTAN: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has asked former chief minister Shahbaz Sharif to reply till May 18 to a questionnaire in reference to the allegedly illegal allotment of 14,400 Kanal state land to 144 affectees of the Lal Sohanra park, Bahawalpur.

Besides Mr. Sharif, former federal minister Baleeghur Rehman, Advocate Chaudhry Umer Mahmood, and officer and officials of the Cholistan Development Authority also are being probed within the case.

In December, the NAB executive board authorized an inquiry into 15 complaints, including the Lal Sohanra Park case wherein state land was allotted illegally to people.

“NAB is conducting the topic inquiry under the supply of NAO 1999 within the matter of illegal allotment of state land measuring 14,400 Kanal to 144 people as effects (sic) of Lal Sohanra park, Bahawalpur. during this regard, please find enclosed herewith a questionnaire elaborating your role within the said allotment and queries to be responded through written statement furnished to the present bureau by May 18, 2020,” stated the notice issued by NAB Multan Additional Director Staff Syed Rizwan Hussain Shah to Mr. Sharif on May 6.

According to NAB sources, the Lal Sohanra park was established over 163,000 acres in 1975, but compensatory land was allotted to the affectees a few years later. In 2012, an inventory of 238 affectees had been notified, and later 12.5 acres each were distributed among 144 affectees, some bogus names. The land was also distributed among those born even after the establishment of the park.

Reacting to the issuance of notice to Mr. Sharif, PML-N Information Secretary Marriyum Aurangzeb called the NAB notice a comedy, saying the notice was one among the various episodes of NAB-Niazi collusion.

“Corruption of not even one penny was proved within the false allegations of corruption of billions. Now the NAB-Niazi collusion should be ashamed of creating a case of an event from 1976. Former federal minister Baleeghur Rehman is additionally being victimized for his loyalty with the PML-N, Nawaz Sharif and Shahbaz Sharif by being issued a notice,” she added.

“By making this case, it's been proved that each one case initiated against Shahbaz is false and political victimization. This case is another joke after the cases of Saaf Pani, Ashiyana Housing Scheme, sewerage drain, 56 companies, Daily Mail, Multan Metro Bus, assets beyond means and concealment,” she stated.

She said the land was given to the affectees through the right departmental process.